06 May 2023

One more sleep!

Tomorrow is race day!

I am relieved and thrilled to have met my fundraising goal for the Cancer Society (although still accepting donations!

Yesterday I did a 5k run in the morning, and a 22k ride in the afternoon to pick up my bib etc. And some walking. Today will be mostly a rest day, although I do have tennis this afternoon. 

Right now, I’m trying to strategize what to eat and when. I treated myself to new socks and a new water bottle yesterday, and a fanny pack for snacks, although the shirt I got with my bib has a back pocket! So I think I’ll return the pack and just use that. beyond water, I thought I’d bring a banana and maybe a granola bar (I think I have some in the cupboard…) or gorp.

Typically, I don’t eat before a run—I go first thing in the morning, maybe have a V8 (sometimes with added salt) to get me started. 

This run is a bit different, so maybe requires a different strategy.

  • it’s twice as far as my typical run
  • it’s not a “get up and go” run, I have to get myself to the starting line

That, and I am going to the theatre tonight, so not sure when I’ll have dinner (before I head out at 5:30? after I get home at 11?). If I have a very early dinner, I’ll need something in the morning. If I have a very late dinner, probably not.

Reading this article on What to Eat before Running Any Distance they say to keep it minimal for a 10k, “since this workout will last less than an hour”—clearly they don’t know me!

Thinking I will have a yogurt and coffee in the morning, and bring a banana and a granola bar if I can find one in the house. Maybe eat half the banana before? The article suggests to eat “at least 30 minutes before you line up.” Maybe get to the start early (should do that anyway), eat the banana, and shove some dates in my pocket if I need something on the way? 

Last year was so awful; I want to avoid repeating that experience if I can. Hence over thinking fuel now; it’s something within my control, so if I can, I want to make the best choices possible.

Anyway. Wish me luck! And if you want, you can track my run!

No comments:

Post a Comment