18 May 2023

I knew I was stressed, but…

I have shingles!

This spring has been hard, per usual, although less hard than other springs. I handled my grief a lot better, but also compensated by over-scheduling, too much volunteering (although I had no way of knowing how disorganized that one group would be, but note to self, just assume the worst and do not take on extra during spring), too many clients with the side-hustle, lots going on at work, the usual romantic woes, etc.

Anyway.

Last week, I put “gardening” in my calendar as a lunchtime appointment. It felt great! Getting outside in the sunshine, at one with nature. Good for mental and physical health both. The next day I had spots, and wrote them off as from a bug or plant (we did have a patch of nettles pop up one year). The day after, a couple more spots. Two days later, a few more. Main patch by my right knee, the others further up my leg—they’d make a neatish line if you joined them up.

And they hurt, and seemed to be getting worse, not better. I tried peroxide and bandages so at least they wouldn’t be bothered by the hem of my skirt etc. They just got worse. I got a new ointment yesterday and tried it this morning while googling “rash that doesn’t go away” and “rash on one leg only.” Shingles came up, and it did look in the early stages the way shingles looked last time. So I made a virtual appointment.

I never brought up shingles, but the Nurse Practitioner did, after looking at the photos and asking a few questions. Ugh.

Now I’m waiting for the prescription to go through, so I can get a topical steroid cream (it’s too late for the anti-virals). 

I’ve also had subconjunctival haemorrhage twice in the last couple of weeks. Not related apparently, but can also be a sign of stress. Keep thinking of that book, When the Body Says No. My body is saying NOOOOO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment