08 February 2024

Stuff about GERD and me

So the med I am taking for the cough is pantoprazole sodium, which is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) designed to reduce acid in the stomach. It usually takes 2-3 days to show results, but could take 1-7 days. To know if it’s really having an effect on GERD, you need to take it for 4-8 weeks.

So the fact that I had a coughing fit last night doesn’t really mean anything yet! Gotta be patient.  

From what I gather, the cough is caused by esophagitis which is caused by damage done from the stomach acid. So in addition to stopping the stomach acid from going where it’s not supposed to, I need to give my esophagus time to heal. 

If GERD is even the cause! We don’t even know that yet. On the one hand it seems possible; on the other hand all the lifestyle risk factors don’t really apply to me. I barely drink at all, don’t smoke, not overweight, don’t snack at bedtime, etc. The one risk factor that seems possible is caffeine, but I don’t drink a ton of coffee (although I did when I was younger!) and not after noon.

Anyway for now I guess I just have to keep track of what (if anything) changes, and see what the doctor says.

No comments:

Post a Comment