18 July 2023

Fibre!

So one  of the fun things about iron deficiency is that the supplements cause constipation. I used to get these biscuits with the evocative name of “bowel buddy.” But when I looked for them recently I couldn’t find. 

So I made my own recipe!

High-Fibre Cookies!

Two cookies contain a third of the RDA for fibre. And they don’t taste terrible, although next time I’ll add cinnamon.

Recipe: High-fibre Cookies 

Ingredients:

1 cup Bran Buds cereal 

½ cup oats

1 egg, beaten 

½ cup apple sauce 

1 tsp vanilla 

¾ cup brown sugar 

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking powder 

¾ tsp salt 

⅜ cup psyllium husk powder 

 1 cup raisins, roughly chopped 

Directions:

Grind Bran Buds and oats together in a food processor. 

Combine egg and apple sauce. Add vanilla and brown sugar. 

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and psyllium. Stir into egg mixture. 

Stir in ground cereals and raisins. 

Place tablespoon-sized mounds on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. 

Honestly thrilled with how these turned out for a first attempt at a totally improvised recipe. I guess my years of cookie-baking are finally paying off!

No comments:

Post a Comment